Tuesday, April 18, 2006

UPDATE: New $2,500 Apple MacBook Pro fixed by Library Card

After a trip to the local Apple store, and spending a total of four hours -- two hours roundtrip and two hours waiting -- I had the CD removed from my laptop.

The computer booted up fine; no data was lost and all was well -- until I got another CD stuck in the drive. A note to Boot Camp users: do not burn CDs in Windows. Luckily, I have MacGyver'd my way out of my problem!

Not wanting to go back to the Apple store, I took matters into my own hands. Pulling out my trusty library card, I slid it into the CD drive and nudged it up against the CD. I turned on the laptop and heard no noises of distress from the drive. After two failed attempts to spin up the CD the laptop spit out the offensive piece of plastic, and then booted into OS X.

And that is the story of my New $2,500 Apple MacBook Pro, disabled by $0.25 CD, and fixed by a free library card.

3 Comments:

Blogger Apple Whore said...

It'd be interesting to try and find out if what happened to your MacBook Pro is an isolated issue or a universal one, as well as whether it's a driver issue or a bug.

April 19, 2006 5:30 PM  
Blogger Leigh Beadon said...

Brian is going to look into it when he has a chance, but I can tell you that a few of the post's hits came from Google searches for things like "macbook pro cd stuck".

April 22, 2006 5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the tip.

We have a macbook which would not eject a windows burned dual layer dvd. Not in OS X. Not with the trackpad button. The system would not reboot (neither OS X nor XP). As we could not get into Open Firmware, we were facing a 6 hour round trip to the local Apple Store. So I searched the internet a little, found your hint and voila!

A paper card inserted into the slot (it was above the disc) prompted the macbook to spit the dual layer disc out rightaway.

Thanks a ton for thinking outside the box!

Frank - icerabbit.com

July 07, 2006 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home